African Heart Attack Treatment Scheme (A-HATS)
The A-HATS program was created to provide the framework for emergency healthcare services for acute myocardial infarction or heart attack, in sub-Saharan Africa. This program is largely geared towards the healthcare professionals in Nigeria, and through A-HATS, Revolving Hearts plans to make and strengthen connections with partner institutions to help develop and improve workflows surrounding heart attack treatment protocols.
Explore the Core
Coronary Artery Disease is the most common type of Heart Disease and is also the leading cause of heart attacks. In Coronary Artery Disease, plaque builds up in your arteries leading to blood clots and/or reducing the amount of oxygen-rich blood getting to your heart which eventually causes myocardial infarction or heart attack.
Over 60% of coronary artery disease occurs in developing countries and the global burden of the disease is growing. About 1/3 of the deaths worldwide is from cardiovascular disease and majority of these are due to heart attack and stroke.
The Need in Nigeria
Outcomes of a heart attack or acute myocardial infarction depend largely on the availability of advanced cardiac care, including medications, EKG, cardiac catheterization, and percutaneous intervention (PCI). The economic state of Nigeria has a direct effect on cardiac care and the pattern of heart attacks, and Heart Disease as a whole, in the country. Due to Nigeria’s poor economic state, availability of advanced cardiac care is extremely limited and access to care is rare.
Emergency care for Heart Attacks is virtually nonexistent in sub-Saharan Africa, and less than 0.01% of the 200 Million people in Nigeria have access to cardiac catheterization laboratories, which are the gold standard in acute myocardial infarction care. The inadequate infrastructure, lack of up-to-date equipment and technology, and poor government involvement and funding, all lead to Nigeria continuing to be behind the curve in cardiovascular healthcare. This is where Revolving Hearts steps in with A-HATS!
The Revolving Hearts way
Less than 4% of Nigeria’s national budget is allocated to the health sector; leaving hospital infrastructure, medical supplies and technologies, and hospital resources and protocols outdated and in poor condition, with ongoing advancements in cardiac care unknown and unavailable. Revolving Hearts understands this issue necessitates immediate action for the following:
Our Plan: Give Hearts in Nigeria the best plan for Attack
- Identify and create partnerships with specific hospitals and institutions dedicated to providing optimal emergency services for acute myocardial infarction or heart attack
- Identify clinical and administrative champions responsible for implementing cardiac programs in these dedicated institutions.
- Network with Healthcare professionals from identified institutions and gauge ability of staff to implement targeted improvement initiatives.
- Expand upon partnerships to build 5 regional cardiac catheterization laboratories for access to primary PCI in Nigeria.
- Provide the framework for and Initiate an Integrated emergency heart attack treatment system in Nigeria, which covers the initial call to 911 as well as follow-up care and prevention
- Build and equip ambulance systems to facilitate access of patients with myocardial infarction to the appropriate designated facilities
- Initiate cardiovascular care teams and implement the use of guidelines in sub-Saharan Africa
- Expand successful strategies learned in acute ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction (STEMI) care, to Nigeria
- Institute streamlined processes, from ambulance to post heart attack care, and implement targeted quality improvement
- Implement structural improvements, and provision of resources for our partner institutions to be able to provide optimal heart attack treatment or acute myocardial infarction care
- Donate cardiac related medical equipment such as: EKG machines, defibrillators, CPR mannequins, procedure supplies, as well as large scale equipment such as echocardiogram machines, to designated partner institutions
- Kickstart the infusion of capital through the donation of raised funds, directly into the structural improvement of our dedicated partner institutions
Motto: Initiate, Innovate and Integrate
Help us Stop Heart Attacks in their tracks, Donate Now
We Need Your Help!
To designate your funds specifically to the African Heart Attack Treatment Scheme Initiative, please put A-HATS in the comment section of your donation!